Saturday, April 10, 2010

A note for Aficionados everywhere

In my ever increasing bitterness towards Cigar Aficionado (and let me mention at this time that I have almost every single issue), I would like to make note that in the most recent issue there are exactly NINE pages devoted to cigars. Now granted, I've excluded the ratings pages, and the "moments to remember" pages - those don't change month to month. Nine pages. Two pages devoted to "Smoking in America," six pages on the Oliva family and one page on some cigar briefcase. And I'm giving that last one a little credit where it might not be earned; the one page article is about the briefcase after all, not cigars. But it is a cigar accessory, so I'm sneaking it in. I also excluded the 2 or so paragraphs where cigars are mentioned in the Phil Ivey and Bon Jovi drummer stories. Those are barely worth mentioning.

Now I'm not one to expect every page to be about cigars. I appreciate the occasional story about golf, fine wine and food, travel, etc. I just think that the magazine might as well drop the "Cigar" part of "Cigar Aficionado" at this point. They've already shrunk the font on the cover for the word "cigar" to a minuscule size anyway. Over the last year, I think Aficionado has had more pages devoted cumulatively towards golf, watches, private planes, luxury yachts, and other "high life" goodies that they have towards cigars.

I'm not going to stop my subscription, mind you, but if you want to read a great cigar magazine, I suggest either Cigar Snob or Cigar Press. The only disappointing thing about Cigar Snob is that it's based out of Florida, and thus most of the stories tend to be Florida related. But it's informative and fun, none the less, and has a 90% devotion to cigars, with 10% to "others" tossed in, versus the opposite numbers for the Big Magazine.

Rant over. Carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment