Saturday, March 20, 2010

La Flor Dominicana Air Bender



I recently gave the new La Flor Dominicana Air Bender a try, after reading an article on CA about this new blend. It promised to be a strong yet smooth smoke, and since La Flor is hands down my favorite manufacturer, I figured there was no way I was going to be disappointed. First challenge; finding a retailer locally who even carried it. It took 3 or 4 whacks before I finally found it at Edward's, and only then because I was on my way down to Del Frisco's anyway. I picked up an Arturo Fuente Rosado (an exceptional new cigar from Fuente), along with the toro gordo sized Air Bender. The clerk asked if I had tried either, and when I responded that I hadn't tried the new La Flor yet, she stated that it was a very good cigar. I told her I had heard that it was a powerhouse of a smoke, and she said "actually, it's much milder than the Double Ligero." Seriously? That's not what I had read! But as I fancy myself a La Flor expert, I decided I could easily judge for myself.

For starters, I'd like to point out that this cigar had a flawless, silky smooth wrapper, and an absolutely perfect draw. It was smooth, and somewhat creamy for a full bodied cigar, and burned as evenly as any cigar could. The second noticeable and unusual thing I need to point out, is that this cigar burned for almost 2 hours. It's a 6 1/4 x 60, so it's not outrageously large. Add to that, the fact that I'm typically a fast smoker, and you get "proof" that this cigar was very well constructed indeed.

Now, bearing in mind that I was told this cigar was milder than the DL series, I started smoking with reckless abandon, puffing away, not monitoring the effects on my palate or my body. About half-way through this powerhouse, I turned to Sean and commented "I don't what the hell that lady is used to smoking, but if she thinks this is a milder cigar than my usual La Flors, then my hat's off to her." There was nothing mild about this spicy, yet smooth knock out of a cigar. The cigar was actually too strong for me (an unusual statement to be sure), the first time I tried it. I thought long and hard about it, wondering if it was the lack of food in my stomach, dehydration, or something else that was giving me this slightly green feeling. I know Litto wanted to make something powerful, but at the same time, I had my doubts that his intention was to knock your teeth in. By his own admission in recent articles, he has said that there isn't a need for anything much stronger than what's already in their arsenal.

Being the glutton that I am, and combined with the fact that I just haven't had a La Flor I didn't love, I decided to try it again. And again, and again. I've now twice had the 6 1/4 x 60 size (the Valiente) and once the 5 x 50 Robusto sized Matatan. Aside from my very first sampling, I have found the following two to be exceptionally rich and flavorful cigars. I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed with this new LFD, and I was absolutely right! It may be among one of my favorite new smokes, though I admit I am fairly biased. Now if I could only get my hands on the elusive La Flor Dominicana Solomone...

No comments:

Post a Comment